[DBD] Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best os for gaming?

3 posters

Go down

Best os for gaming? Empty Best os for gaming?

Post  madc0w 18th April 2009, 10:22 am

Was wondering what is considered the best out of the windows operating systems for gaming. Anyone tried W-7 yet? And what about 32 or 64?

Also wondering, what the hell do they mean when they refer to harddrives as OEM? I read Wikipidia and it really confused me.

There are two types of OEM when it comes to operating systems. The first is when a pre-built computer is purchased, there is an OEM disk that comes with the system, which can not be transferred to another one, because that disk is designed to run only with the specific system components. The second type of OEM operating system is one that can be transferred to any other system, without the dependence on the components.
huh?

Also, if a hd was on an intel system, can it be formated and used on an AMD system?
And how do you use the chip set disk that comes with a motherboard?
And can a blueray drive (without drivers loaded yet) be used as the cd/dvd for setting up from scratch?
And to get started should only one of two gpu's be on board, until catalyst and/or drivers needed for crossfire can be added?
And if using one hd, what is the best way to configure it? sata or raid or promise??? the hellis promise?
And what is the fastest land animal?

specs
MSI K9A2 platinum, AMD 790FX + SB600 with Athlonx2 64 inthe AM2+ socket
motherboard is MS-7376 ver 1.0
DDR2 4gb
GPU's 2 visiontek HD-3870x 512 rev 1.0
hd is WD2500js 250gig

Any help much appreciated.
madc0w
madc0w

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Back to top Go down

Best os for gaming? Empty Re: Best os for gaming?

Post  Thomson85 18th April 2009, 4:17 pm

Windows7 is basically a mix of XP and vista.... its what vista should have been

32/64 the same unless you need 64bit to utilize your hardware... (ie- I have a quadcore and 6GB Ram), so I run 64bit as 32bit only reconizes up to 3.5GB Ram.

You can re-use HDD's to any PC... I can take a HDD from a MAC and format it and throw it into my PC, I can even have it run windows vista.

How do you use the chip set disk that comes with a motherboard? Insert it into the appropriate slot.

Blueray drive should function as a regular CD\DVD drive until drivers are installed

Yes 1 video card should be auto-detected, if not use the on-board video until it's configured properly.

1 HDD = Sata

Different OEM...

1. Factory OS disks that come with your PC. That have your hardware drivers pre-installed onto the disk(s).

2. Store bought OS disk(s) do not have drivers for your hardware, so most hardware such as your video card, media card readers, sound card, etc have to be downloaded from the manufacturers website.
Thomson85
Thomson85
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1087
Registration date : 2008-09-11

http://www.myspace.com/littlerascle

Back to top Go down

Post  madc0w 18th April 2009, 5:12 pm

Cool. Thank you.

When I fire it up, it goes thru bios setting ok, but instead of doing anything w/ the cd, it give me the BOOYMGR is missing press cntrl+alt+del to restart.
Is this hardware or software related?
Thanks
madc0w
madc0w

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomson85 18th April 2009, 10:08 pm

madc0w wrote:Cool. Thank you.

When I fire it up, it goes thru bios setting ok, but instead of doing anything w/ the cd, it give me the BOOYMGR is missing press cntrl+alt+del to restart.
Thanks

sounds software
Thomson85
Thomson85
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Chronos 20th April 2009, 10:05 pm

madc0w wrote:Was wondering what is considered the best out of the windows operating systems for gaming. Anyone tried W-7 yet? And what about 32 or 64?

Also wondering, what the hell do they mean when they refer to harddrives as OEM? I read Wikipidia and it really confused me.

1-Also, if a hd was on an intel system, can it be formated and used on an AMD system?
2-And how do you use the chip set disk that comes with a motherboard?
3-And can a blueray drive (without drivers loaded yet) be used as the cd/dvd for setting up from scratch?
4-And to get started should only one of two gpu's be on board, until catalyst and/or drivers needed for crossfire can be added?
5-And if using one hd, what is the best way to configure it? sata or raid or promise??? the hellis promise?
6-And what is the fastest land animal?
Asking what the best OS is is like asking what the best car is. It's all a matter of opinion. Personally, I like XP. Once any and all bugs are worked out of W7, I'll probably make the switch. Until then, I've stuck with XP and win2k.

As for 32 and 64, this refers to the architecture of the CPU. A 64 bit CPU can run a 32 or 64 bit OS. A 32 bit CPU can only run a 32 bit OS. Same goes for programs. 64 can run both 32 and 64, while 32 can only run 32. With a 32 bit CPU and OS, you are limited to the amount of RAM (physical memory) you can run. It's generally between 3 and 3.5 gb of RAM. With a 64-bit system, you can run much more. Drivers for 64-bit systems used to be almost non-existent. There are still many problems with trying to find drivers for 64-bit systems.

I think your reference to the HDD being OEM is a bit misleading. I think what you really meant was the OS. When an OS is said to be OEM in the fact that it was meant for that system and that system only, it means that any of the required drivers are "built into" the OS so there isn't a need to track down and install separate drivers. The other instance is when it's the plain old OS install disc that ships with the system and it will more than likely work fine on other systems, but drivers will have to be found and installed.

Now, to answer your questions in order -
1. Yes
2. The "chipset disk" is essentially a disc that contains the drivers for your motherboard in order for it to function optimally.
3. Not sure, but I would think so.
4. Hmmm, again not sure, but I would think yes.
5. SATA is a type of interface where as RAID is a type of hard drive configuration using multiple discs. If you only have 1 physical disc, there is no need to worry about configuring a RAID.
6. Acinonyx jubatus

Thomson85 wrote:
madc0w wrote:Cool. Thank you.

Thanks

sounds software
It's software related. I'm also assuming you meant BOOTMGR. Have you installed an OS? I'm going to guess no. You need to boot from CD to start installing. If you aren't receiving an option to "boot from CD, press THIS key", you need to go into BIOS (usually by pressing F1 during boot) and set your boot priority so that it tried to boot from CD first before trying to boot from the hard drive.
Chronos
Chronos
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Number of posts : 478
Registration date : 2008-12-05

http://www.pillclan.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomson85 20th April 2009, 10:27 pm

Yes, you need to change your boot order so it detects your CD\DVD ROM drive before your HDD.

And Chronos, you realized aside from changing the boot order in bios, you just repeated what I wrote above LOL...
Thomson85
Thomson85
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  madc0w 25th April 2009, 9:46 pm

Turns out, LG blu-ray rw drives need drivers to be more than just 'seen' by the bios. I put in a basic dvd drive, and I could use the chip set disk and windows install disk normally. All parts seems to work now. Even the crossfire. MSI has a live update that finds and installs the most recent bios and other motherboard updates like sound and raid, for you. Its damn near madc0w(idiot) proof. I installed fallout3, and it runs great.
Is dx10 enough of a justification to upgrade to vista? The student edition for vista ultimate is only $64, reg price is like $290. Microsoft want an email adress ending in .edu to qualify.
madc0w
madc0w

Back to top Go down

Post  Chronos 26th April 2009, 3:33 am

madc0w wrote:Is dx10 enough of a justification to upgrade to vista?
Some say yes, others (like me) say no. There was once a group working on getting dx10 to work on XP. If I recall, they had decent success. If you're interested, I'll try and find the links on it.
Chronos
Chronos
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Number of posts : 478
Registration date : 2008-12-05

http://www.pillclan.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum