[DBD] Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beware, attempt to hijack steam accounts

3 posters

Go down

Beware, attempt to hijack steam accounts Empty Beware, attempt to hijack steam accounts

Post  Chronos 10th April 2009, 5:02 am

As some of you may know, our member Split had his account hijacked not long ago.

I received a message tonight in my Steam chat from someone I don't know saying something like this -

"Due to recent hack attempts we are monitoring steam accounts VERY closely. We have noticed 2 different IP addresses logged into your account recently. In order to verify that YOU are the correct owner we require you to log in. Please go to www.verifySteam-Related-Name-Goes-Here.tk Once you log in your IP will verify who you are and will be set to your steam account."

For the noobs new to Steam and not aware of these kinds of things, this is an attempt to hijack your Steam account. I changed part of the name in that link. Verify is the first part of the link name though. Steam will never try and redirect you to a domain not owned by them. Any domain ending in .tk IS NOT Steam! If you receive this message or any message like it with a strange domain, and click the link, DO NOT LOG INTO THE SITE WITH YOUR ACCOUNT NAME AND PASS! Your account info will be logged and someone else will have access to your account in order to take it over, and they will. Just ask Split.
Chronos
Chronos
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Number of posts : 478
Registration date : 2008-12-05

http://www.pillclan.com

Back to top Go down

Beware, attempt to hijack steam accounts Empty Re: Beware, attempt to hijack steam accounts

Post  Split 10th April 2009, 5:51 am

its easly done.....if i remember correctly wasnt it a post on here from someones old account that got hacked ? and they posted here and i clicked it....thinking "oh thats safe its on the forums" and it took about 1 week of hassle and emails to steam.......for anyone that does get caught out.....have a well worded letter to steam explaining all and proof that the games are yours.....best is a scan or as i did a pic of the back of the CD case with the key clearly visible.....dont get caught out its not worth it......if you do dont moan about it as you have now been warned by two people lol
Split
Split

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Beware, attempt to hijack steam accounts Empty Re: Beware, attempt to hijack steam accounts

Post  Nova 13th April 2009, 9:05 pm

Woooow. Some people really don't have lives. I gotta admit though, that'd almost make me click, except for the .tk fact and the fact that Valve has repeatedly said that Steam never prompts you to confirm something. I'd imagine if they needed to they'd post a news announcement about it.
Nova
Nova
Sergeant
Sergeant

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Chronos 18th April 2009, 2:33 am

Nova wrote:Woooow. Some people really don't have lives. I gotta admit though, that'd almost make me click, except for the .tk fact
This is the second time I've gotten something like this. The first time I got the message from the guy that jacked Splits account and thought it was Split. I fell for it and "logged in" to the fake site. Thankfully, Split posted here someone jacked his account just a few minutes later and I changed all my passes before the asshats could take over my account.

Nova wrote:and the fact that Valve has repeatedly said that Steam never prompts you to confirm something.
Yup. That's like receiving an email from a yahoo account saying you need to verify your hotmail pass. Lol.

Nova wrote:I'd imagine if they needed to they'd post a news announcement about it.
No doubt about it. It would be on the "home page" that loads when you start Steam or it would be in a popup they sometimes have when it's something "important".
Chronos
Chronos
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Number of posts : 478
Registration date : 2008-12-05

http://www.pillclan.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Split 18th April 2009, 3:51 am

Chronos wrote:
This is the second time I've gotten something like this. The first time I got the message from the guy that jacked Splits account and thought it was Split. I fell for it and "logged in" to the fake site. Thankfully, Split posted here someone jacked his account just a few minutes later and I changed all my passes before the asshats could take over my account.

lucky i posted so quickly lol....i did it within about 30 ins of it happening......took me a while....was like wtf why is my password not working ?!?!?!?!
Split
Split

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down